You may be having mixed emotions, happy, scared, angry, or confused now that you are facing an unplanned pregnancy. What happens next may be her decision, but most women really care what their guy thinks. You don't have to figure it all out in one day. Take some time and accept that you have a baby on the way. Maybe this wasn't part of your plan but now that it has happened you have a lot of questions and you are not sure how this will affect you.
You can help her and yourself by:
- Confirm that she is really pregnant. Schedule an appointment today and offer to go with her.
- Learn about your options. She may be carrying the baby but you both are parents.
- Stay Calm. It is normal to have feelings of fear, anger, and frustration. You are not alone.
- Don't bail. Some men feel that their girlfriend's pregnancy doesn't affect them, and that they can simply leave the situation. Not only does leaving her make it harder for her, it also can be hard on you in the future, because if she has the baby, you are still the father. You can't change the situation you're in, so make the most of it.
- Listen. Your girlfriend is pregnant with your child. She is feeling many of the same emotions you are. Listening to her concerns is important, as the decisions she makes affect you very similarly.
- Talk about it. Because the situation involves both of you, it's important that share your own thoughts and concerns with her. Also, talk to people, preferably adults, that you can trust. People who can help you think through things and give you sound advice. Ignoring the situation will not make it go away.
- Be Honest. It's possible that you and your girlfriend are not in agreement with the decision she will make with her pregnancy. After listening to her, it's important to be honest with her, so she doesn't feel overwhelmed.
- Don't make a hasty decision. This may be a difficult time and it feels like you both should have all the answers today, but you have time to slow down and get the facts, so you can make an informed choice that works best for both of you.
At Relevant Pregnancy Options Center we understand that men process things differently. We have men coaches who will provide a confidential, non-judgmental place to talk about your options and help you through this process. When you know the facts it helps make the decision process easier.
Schedule your appointment today to talk to someone who understands what you are going through.
Schedule an Appointment